Waves Weekly 5/21/18
It was a tight result on Saturday, but ultimately the Waves came 39 points shy of victory on Saturday. I am encouraged by our younger age groups as we swept every relay in the 6 and unders and 7-8 age groups. We have some great swimmers in our teenage age groups, we just don’t have enough of them! Please always encourage older swimmers to participate with the Waves. Shout outs in particular to Harry Cook, Brett Doehring, Mitchell Sausnock, William Dunn, Riley Weaver, Sam McConnell, Mason Weaver, and Ava Casperson for multiple first place finishes! Congrats to all of our swimmers who improved their times and thank you to all the parents who helped to volunteer. The volunteer assistance is very much appreciated and needed to coordinate each of these meets. I’m excited to see what the Waves will do in these final three dual meets. Today, we’ll discuss the following:
1. Away Meet vs. Walden Wavez (that’s waves with a z)
2. Picture Day is this Wednesday, May 23rd
3. Swim Clinics – Backstroke on Tuesday evening, breaststroke on Thursday
4. Waves Swim-a-thon is next week, May 30th, please start your fundraising!
5. Summer Champs Invitational Meet – Sunday, June 3rd
1. Saturday morning will be our second away dual meet of the season vs. the Walden Wavez. Check in will once again be at 7:00. Look for the pink tents set up on the northwest side of Walden Country Club, next to the tennis courts. All swimmers and volunteers must check in and warm ups will begin shortly thereafter. Please logon to the site as soon as possible enter your swimmer. We are unable to make late additions to the meet for dual meets and the deadline is midnight on Wednesday night. Please remember that for dual meets, swimmers can only register for a maximum of three individual events. If your swimmer will not be swimming, please mark that they will not be attending this Saturday.
2. Picture Day is this Wednesday, May 23rd, beginning at 4 pm. Scott Tate photography will begin taking individual pictures at 4 pm, followed by a team picture around 5:15. We will not have practices that day. Please have your swimmer available in the team swimsuit or a blue swimsuit for picture day. Order forms are located under the Links section of our website. Scott Tate will also have forms available that day.
3. Swim clinics continue on Tuesday (backstroke) and Thursday (breaststroke) and run from 7:00 to 7:45. I strongly recommend participation in the swim clinics if your schedule allows for it. Ages 7 and up will be refining backstroke technique Tuesday night and breaststroke on Thursday. The cost for each clinic is $20 per swimmer, payable to the coaches when you arrive.
4. All Wednesday practices next week will participate in Swim-a-thon. Fundraising forms will be mailed tomorrow and you can also find them located under the Links section of our website. This will be a fun time for the kids as we will have music and some treats for the kids participating. Swim-a-thon splits proceeds to benefit a capital item needed by the Waves and to support a local charity. This year, funds raised will be split 50/50 to go towards the purchase of needed tents to replace some of our aging stock of tents and to benefit the L3 Foundation (Live Love Landon). All swimmers will try to swim as many laps as possible during practice in order to raise funds. You can learn more about the L3 Foundation and the worthwhile work they do with families impacted by cancer at the following link: https://www.l3foundation.com/ Our website does not provide online functionality for fundraising (at this time), so please use the attached pledge form to help raise funds from family, neighbors, and friends. Checks are payable to Fosters Mill Kings Point Swim Team and all donations are tax-deductible as the Waves and the L3 Foundation are 501c3 non-profits.
5. Our first invitational meet of the season, Summer Champs, is approaching on Sunday, June 3rd. This meet is hosted by Blue Tide Aquatics and located at the Kingwood Park High School natatorium. The meet is open to all age groups, but the swimmer(s) must achieve posted time standards. Swimmers 11 & up swim in the morning with the meet beginning at 8:30. Ages 10 & below swim in the afternoon with an estimated start of 2:30 or 2 hours after the older kids complete their meet. This is a great opportunity for kids to get accustomed to indoor meet swimming and the best part is that families can setup inside of Kingwood High inside of the air conditioning. Parents just need to bring your chairs and whatever info your swimmer will need for the meet. Full concessions, shirts, and typical accessories are available to purchase at the meet. The link to register for Summer Champs is open on the Schedule tab of our website and entries are due this Sunday! The computer system will only allow you to register for those events in which your swimmer has achieved a qualifying time and I have attached a list of swimmers that are currently qualified. Note that there is a $5 entry fee for each individual event. Be sure to click on the Summer Champs Invitational Meet Info link on the Links Tab or Schedule Tab of our website for detailed information and time standards required to qualify and enter.